2nd OMSI installation possible? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2016
Thurso
Hi Guys

I remember reading some where that you can have a multiple installations of OMSI.
Is this possible?
What im thinking is, if i can get a 2nd installation, i can use that just for map making using objects/splines such as from UKDT rather than just searching for the ones i would like and to avoid any Freemans objects.

Thanks

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
If it was illegal then I'd be screwed. :)
upload_2017-2-15_16-12-3.png

Reactions: SteveyRex

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Omsi will start up a little faster because it has less content to scan when it starts - instead of looking through perhaps 15 or more map folders for global.cfg files it'll only have to look through 1 or 2 for example. It won't change the performance actually in game because the map is going to have the same stuff loaded and it won't affect loading times of maps at all.
It does add a bit more reliability perhaps, when I install a map it'll be into a new clean copy of Omsi so it won't overwrite and break anything else and if I want to uninstall a map and it's associated content I just delete it's Omsi install instead of attempting to work out what it did and didn't install.
Alongside the different installs for different maps, I also have installs for different purposes. I have a dedicated Omsi install for developing and testing the C400 for example; with only it installed there's no way I can rely on some random file I've downloaded from the internet. For my dabbles in map creation I've used my dev install, being separate from other installs I can have only my own content and a few select other pieces installed so I know that what I'm placing on the map is something I can either include in a download or easily link to as I know where it came from. If you develop on the same install as you install a bunch of different maps on, who knows where half the stuff you could potentially place came from. I also have a test install which I regularly sanitise and reset, useful for testing stuff in the approval queue because it immediately shows up when someone has failed to include or link to a required file because if it's not a default file I won't have it on that install.
If you try something like I've got with 16 different Omsi folders, you'd likely find that your hard drive is suddenly a lot fuller than it used to be, because you're duplicating a lot of things. To this end I have abused symlinks extensively, meaning the total size is only 55 GB, which seems large but given a clean Omsi install is 4.3 GB, is still less than having that many clean Omsi installs. :)

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Oh, I should mention: Omsi will always run out of the "OMSI 2" folder and will always access files from there. So to switch versions you just rename the existing "OMSI 2" folder to something else and rename the one you want to use back to "OMSI 2" and that one will be used.
I imagine that would probably be useful information I should have included earlier. Oops. :P

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Like you do normally? Steam or Omsi can't tell that the Omsi.exe that was there 5 minutes ago isn't the same one, there's one in the same place so it launches it. That exe is the same as any other and has no conscience and so can't tell if you've moved it, it'll run like normal.

junaid1510

Join my discord: https://discord.gg/QB5bbH4gv9
Oct 20, 2016
Willesden, London
Like you do normally? Steam or Omsi can't tell that the Omsi.exe that was there 5 minutes ago isn't the same one, there's one in the same place so it launches it. That exe is the same as any other and has no conscience and so can't tell if you've moved it, it'll run like normal.
so i can do that and start up omsi and get all those maps in the list

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread