Are repaints too clean? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Clemenkucc

The one, the only
Jul 10, 2017
Torbay, Devon
This is a question I pose to you, the community. In my honest opinion, they are.

For example, this is a photo (not mine, nabbed off a google images search) of an Enviro 400:
4f6631ab3476bcb00147fca737a1ac30.jpeg

As you can hopefully tell. It is quite dirty. Now, this is quite an extreme example, most buses won't be quite THAT dirty but it helps convey my point. Buses aren't pristine. Yeah, they might be just after a wash, but even these are dirtied quickly.

Now I get that we have dirt maps, and they do look ok. But they don't represent the kind of dust and exhaust soot and other guff that gets picked up by buses in service. It would greatly improve the look of repaints if they had a touch of grime around the likely areas (near fuel caps, around the wheel arches, on the back, around exhausts etc).
Or maybe, have a pristine and dirtied version of the buses.

I don't know, I'm just trying to incite a discussion here, to be honest. Just give me your opinions (and maybe, if you make skins, tell me why I'm woefully incorrect).

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Dirt is surprisingly difficult to recreate... You can easily create a repaint with block colours (and let the baked templates add the shading and variations in colour), but dirt involves carefully getting the specs and dribbles and everything to look right. I actually tried to create fuel dribble on a repaint, it kinda worked but I had to make it much more subtle than the reference to get it to look acceptable...
upload_2017-11-26_4-37-28.png
upload_2017-11-26_4-37-34.png

Reactions: BigOmsiFan and Kaci

Advertisement

Kyle Clemenkucc

The one, the only
Jul 10, 2017
Torbay, Devon
I do sincerely apologise if it comes across as if I am unhappy with the contributions people make to this community because believe me I am very happy with it. I am merely trying to raise a point of improvement that I think would make their product look better. They might listen to me, they might think I'm a complete idiot and just disregard what I say. Either way, it creates a discussion about the topic, which is exactly what I wanted to happen. And believe me when I say that grimy or non-grimy I will continue to enjoy the fantastic work being made by the people here.

Again, sorry for coming across as ungrateful :(

Costar1198

Some guy from Croydon innit
Mar 30, 2016
I do sincerely apologise if it comes across as if I am unhappy with the contributions people make to this community because believe me I am very happy with it. I am merely trying to raise a point of improvement that I think would make their product look better. They might listen to me, they might think I'm a complete idiot and just disregard what I say. Either way, it creates a discussion about the topic, which is exactly what I wanted to happen. And believe me when I say that grimy or non-grimy I will continue to enjoy the fantastic work being made by the people here.

Again, sorry for coming across as ungrateful :(
Ohh no you didn't come off as ungrateful, infact its quite a good idea to add dirt to vehicles, I for one will be adding it to my to do list now :D

I think its a pretty fair comment, as you are completely true in what say. Just because you say it doesn't mean that you are completely ungrateful for every piece of work that doesn't have it, and just because a repaint doesn't have it, doesn't mean you'll class it as unworthy. I agree with @Road-hog123 in saying that its pretty hard to get it to look right, I've tried once or twice but have never captured to feel at all. Seen as most vehicles carry dirt mesh textures, it may be pretty easy just to add them over the top, if all you're looking for is for the repaint to look a bit dirtier from the off.

Advertisement

Feb 4, 2017
Nobody is ever happy with what people actually contribute and put effort into but then those same people contribute nothing! :expressionless:
What an unfair comment that is... Since when has a forum become a place whereby ideas cannot be discussed? Several times I’ve seen comments from people which are polite and not in any way demanding, to see them shut down.
Forum... by definition is a place where ideas can be discussed. He made a suggestion, a fair one which can be rejected or accepted by the authors. Please, some flexibility and understanding for suggestions. They make a better product in the end. Not everyone has the knowledge, skill or software to create something, so they suggest it to the highly capable people on these forums.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread