British Roads (1 Viewer)

Hi, I am wanting to make a map based on the towns and cities of Hampshire. I know it's big but I don't care about that, I also know how I'm going to do it and what I want to do to get the most out of it, however I'm stuck with roads.

What roads should I use and how do I make it so a single road can expand onto a dual carriage away, motorway, etc.

I looked at tutorials but they use Bus Loops and Roads which are German and the junctions aren't satisfactory. If they are all I can use, how can I achieve what I want to do/what roads should I be using

Solution
The comma is ust the end of the \ character in notepad ++. This is the full list
1534272220652.png

There are no junctions in the cotterell folder and there are junctions in that directory that are fine.

Gh0st28

Mar 29, 2016
Hi, I am wanting to make a map based on the towns and cities of Hampshire. I know it's big but I don't care about that, I also know how I'm going to do it and what I want to do to get the most out of it, however I'm stuck with roads.

What roads should I use and how do I make it so a single road can expand onto a dual carriage away, motorway, etc.

I looked at tutorials but they use Bus Loops and Roads which are German and the junctions aren't satisfactory. If they are all I can use, how can I achieve what I want to do/what roads should I be using
Iomex's LH roads and invis spline and BTVs splines aswell

Advertisement

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
The ones I did were simply straight converts of M-R and Simplestreets assets. Therefore, the naming conventions are the same. An effect of this is that some junctions don't make sense as they were built for driving on the right.

There are not many left-path junction assets around, as current thinking is generally to model them bespoke, or create invisible junctions. When creating a non-fictional map, these are the best options, prefabricated junctions only work really in fictional settings.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
The basic method used for UK roads at the moment is to make up a road surface using terrain splines, painted ground or existing roads with the markings removed (as in Iomex'sLH pack), then use Roadhog's markings pack to dress up the roads appropriately.

One thing we are lacking at the moment is a proper set of road splines with the markings already included, it would make life an awful lot easier. I made my own for Farthington but they're not properly compatible with Roadhog's marking pack. EDIT: Now they are!

As to junctions, as Iomex says, the most commonly used method is to make every junction to suit the location using kerb and road marking splines, either on painted ground or on a set of ground cover splines to make up the road surface. It might seem nice to have pre-made junctions, but if you look at real roads around the UK it's very rare that you'll find any two junctions which are the same, so there isn't really a better system. However, you have to be careful with your spline use, as the use of too many curved splines creates huuuuuuge slowdown. There are then two ways of making the junction actually work - either by using Ampelsplines to create traffic light phases or by using the junction editor to make an invisible junction to match.

If you feel up to it, unarguably the best way of making custom junctions is to model them to fit in Blender, as this gives you a junction exactly to fit and without the performance drops associated with spline-built junctions.

Last edited:
The basic method used for UK roads at the moment is to make up a road surface using terrain splines, painted ground or existing roads with the markings removed (as in Iomex'sLH pack), then use Roadhog's markings pack to dress up the roads appropriately.

One thing we are lacking at the moment is a proper set of road splines with the markings already included, it would make life an awful lot easier. I made my own for Farthington but they're not properly compatible with Roadhog's marking pack.

As to junctions, as Iomex says, the most commonly used method is to make every junction to suit the location using kerb and road marking splines, either on painted ground or on a set of ground cover splines to make up the road surface. It might seem nice to have pre-made junctions, but if you look at real roads around the UK it's very rare that you'll find any two junctions which are the same, so there isn't really a better system. However, you have to be careful with your spline use, as the use of too many curved splines creates huuuuuuge slowdown. There are then two ways of making the junction actually work - either by using Ampelsplines to create traffic light phases or by using the junction editor to make an invisible junction to match.

If you feel up to it, unarguably the best way of making custom junctions is to model them to fit in Blender, as this gives you a junction exactly to fit and without the performance drops associated with spline-built junctions.

You mention kerb splines and road splines, are there any specific ones I should use and if so, where can I find them?

Advertisement

They're not a seperate download, you'll get them in a download of Cotterell, BotW or most other left-path UK maps.

I've downloaded both Cotterell and Buses of the Westcountry, however, there are still junctions that my map uses that are missing. Maptools.exe has picked up on these specifically. Does anyone know of a map that has these in it or a way of getting them?

1534261334595.png

Last edited:

Advertisement

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread