Info Department for Transport (DfT) Manuals for Signs and Markings (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Department for Transport (DfT)'s Manuals specify the what road signs are used for what, which road markings to use where and so on... They are available from the GOV.UK website. They are divided into several Chapters, all in PDF form for free
8lHJFT4xmdCLBznbB_uXyUsITa3jsztl.png
:

Chapter 1: "Introduction" (I've not actually read this, but it seems to basically explain basic info about mounting of signs, etc.)
Chapter 2: "Determination of x-height" (how big text should be on informatory signs - you probably won't need this unless you are making your own custom road signs)
"primary route destinations in England by region" (list of destinations for informatory signs - again, you probably won't need this unless you are making your own custom road signs)
Chapter 3: "Regulatory Signs" (specification for signs that prohibit or require an action)

Chapter 4: "Warning Signs" (specification for signs that warn the driver of a danger ahead)
Chapter 5:
"Road Markings" (specification for road markings)
Chapter 7:
"The Design of Traffic Signs" (how to place informatory signs + guidance on how they should be laid out)
Chapter 8: Part 1:
"Road Works and Temporary Situations - Design" (how to sign and lay out the barriers, etc.)
Part 2:
"Road Works and Temporary Situations - Operations" (how men with Stop/Go signs should be used, etc.)

Where is/what is Chapter 6? "Illumination of Traffic Signs". It's still not published... (also due to the complexity of getting illumination to work well on all signs, I haven't included lighting with my pack)
Another thing that's useful are the
Local Transport Notes. These give some further guidance about things such as:

If you're serious about realism and accuracy of your map, its signage/markings and road layouts/infrastructure, you might want to flick through/study these texts to get it completely or just mostly right (Even I've not read the whole thing, I doubt many of the bods that paint the lines have either). Of course, there's no requirement to, I'll probably be one of only a couple of people in the community who will even notice they're "wrong"...

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
It should also be added that there are many places in reality where the rules are not followed exactly... Take for example, the words on Diagram 515, the chevron arrow signs used at roundabouts and sharp corners:
"The sign to diagram 515 should be used on roundabouts to face traffic on each approach"
Except this approach, because this approach is special (the manual then goes on to state that the block paving can be in place of 515, but why only this approach doesn't have them I do not know...):
XlpmPAmg_SVCB7oz_pM4x5d32QAeeqeS.png"Chevron signs should never be mounted one immediately above the other, as this produces a confusing zig-zag pattern."
What do I see on the other side of that roundabout? Oh look, that's where those spare ones went (this roundabout has 3 approaches with double chevrons):
XlpmPAmg_SVCB7oz_pM4x5d32QAeeqeS.png
"...a yellow backing board may be used. The width of the yellow area should not be less than half the horizontal width of the white chevron." ... "The shortest prescribed sign is a single module extending from the tip of one chevron to the tip of the next"
Conversely, this sign gets the yellow correct but also has extra blank space...
So go ahead and get things mostly right. Someone has probably done the same thing already irl...

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread