Favourite train (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2016
Cymru
I personally love the HST's - they have been a staple on the Great Western Mainline for nearly 40 years and I am going to be very sad to see them go away when the new 801's come into service, they are comfortable and quiet and I've always enjoyed seeing them pull into the station when I've been travelling to the Capital.

I'm partial to the 220's as well, not as comfortable or as spacious but they have this thing about them that I really cant place.

Reactions: MylesW

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
Of course they pollute, it's the burning of a fossil fuel! The exhaust fumes contain soot and other Particulate Matter (PM50), Nitrous Oxides (NOx), metal compounds and are also carcinogenic. That's why Euro 6 requires major emissions control measures, and even then they still pollute, just less so.

And electrics don't have much sound at all, no mind differences between them! Cooling fan and motor sounds are much of a muchness, the only significant difference is how AC motors put power down when they pull away (GTO, IGBT etc. Older DC motors just hum). Much more variety in diesels with various transmissions, displacements, exhausts, cylinder configurations etc.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2016
Not being replaced yet. The 387's are replacing the 321's and 365's.
Thanks for the info! EDIT: Just looked it up on the interweb, it says "The Great Northern examples are due to be replaced from 2018 by new six-carriage Class 717 trains." I am not too keen on the computer generated design on these units, they look almost identical to the Class 700's and 707's but with a front gangway door.

Advertisement

Electricity (which powers electric trains) is powered by electricity coming from gas, coal and nuclear plants (mainly). By 2025, there will be no coal, so I'm hoping they resource to using nuclear fission until they finally perfect nuclear fusion and they further the capacity of batteries, as renewable energy is rubbish right now since batteries are still quite a bit away.

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
This is digressing slightly but I think you're a little behind the UK's current energy mix, a lot of coal has been decommissioned lately. For Q3 2016 coal was just 3.6% of electricity, whereas 25% was renewables and another 25% was nuclear; that means 50% of UK electricity now has zero carbon emissions. 44% was gas (which for the record burns a lot cleaner than diesel oil). Fission is hideously expensive, very slow to construct and only suitable for base load owing to how long it takes to turn on and off. Nuclear fusion I don't think will be mastered in my lifetime. You don't need batteries to store renewable energy, you can use compress gas or pump water.

Last edited:

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

@Kieron @The_Growl If you like the sound of Networkers, listen to a 323. Been on a few, and they are pure bliss. A tad shoddy inside, and design wise, but the VVVF inverters on them are wonderful. (Some call them hyper-networkers because of their similarities, and hyper traction motors)

(Not my video)

I have been on a couple of them in Birmingham, but you obviously don't realise, that where I said about hating the 465/0's, its because they have the same traction motor sounds as them :P

Mine would under no doubt, be the Class 465/2/9's. Their traction motor sounds are just addictive. The Class 465/1, only use a single tone when accelerating, so don't sound anywhere near as good, but still far better than any other train.

The Class 465/0's are just utterly horrible.

For reference, they were all made by different manufacturers as shown below:
Class 465/0 - BREL
Class 465/1 - ABB
Class 465/2/9 - GEC Alstom

Florence3099

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Dec 10, 2015
Goldenrod City
www.flickr.com
Pronouns
She/Her
Personally my favourite train is the Class 185 DMU.

3c10ddf0ec34b10f4583040276b0755b.jpeg

While I dislike EMUs as a rule, the Class 323 is certainly the exception.

3c10ddf0ec34b10f4583040276b0755b.jpeg

Advertisement

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread