Maps Hong Kong South (Left Path) redeveloped (1 Viewer)

Hong Kong South was one of the first Hong Kong maps developed for OMSI, first released in 2011 by FF3170 & co as a Right Path version, depicting the southern part of Hong Kong Island from Wah Fu Estate in the west to Stanley in the east, and also Ap Lei Chau island (the second most densely populated island in the world). The final right path release was in May 2013, after which the authors allowed free redevelopment.

In 2014, 愛麗絲公主 produced the first left path conversion for OMSI 1. However, it was basically a direct conversion that had major issues with splines design, mainly that they were too narrow and AI vehicles often obstructed the path. It was also very resource extensive, rendering the map unplayable on many computers.

With the permission of 愛麗絲公主, I have adapted the map for OMSI 2 and started rebuilding the whole road network and removed all the original objects. The area west of Ap Lei Chau Bridge has been relaid, and the western edge was also extended to Chi Fu, a residential estate perched on top of a hillside in southwest Hong Kong Island.

The map will be designed according to the actual condition of the area in around 2008, when nearly all buses in the area consisted of Dennis Dragons, Volvo Olympians, Leyland Olympians and MAN NL262R single deckers. There were also Tridents, but as no Trident is available in OMSI they will be omitted.

The areas circled in red are covered in the original right path map. The areas circled in yellow have been (as of this post) been re-converted to left path.

擷取2.PNG

Some objects and routes (including AI-only ones in the current state of the map) have begun to be replaced into the map to test resource usage, but it can be forseen that some time will be needed, as I will complete the whole road network first before adding the other objects, and also due to a lack of textures and residential skyscraper building objects. Nearly every estate consists of skyscrapers, and every one looks different down here!

The Citybus depot in Ap Lei Chau island was closed in 2005. It may or may not be included in the final release (to prevent DEAD trips from jamming up the bridge back to the main island). The SD200 dead objects will be replaced.

OMSI2_20170802_141619.jpg

The user vehicle in the screenshots is a 11m Olympian with LiteVision electronic displays, modded for this map from an original rollband version.

OMSI2_20170802_141747.jpg

Leaving the depot, meeting some AI Olympians. Notice that the AI versions are severely downgraded to save on resources (look at the windows).

OMSI2_20170802_142349.jpg

Meeting a New World First Bus (NWFB) Olympian. Back in 2008, most NWFB buses still had interior spec similar to First Bus UK.

OMSI2_20170802_142506.jpg

The bus terminus at Ap Lei Chau Estate, the first public housing estate in this area.

OMSI2_20170802_142720.jpg

Starting the run on route 95C to Chi Fu. The blue building is the Wong Chuk Hang depot shared by Citybus and NWFB.

OMSI2_20170802_144201.jpg

A MAN NL262R AI vehicle.

OMSI2_20170802_144228.jpg

Aberdeen town centre looks quite odd with all the buildings removed. This area created the largest resource hog in previous versions of the map.

OMSI2_20170802_144526.jpg

Back to Ap Lei Chau estate, on this single-direction road through South Horizons, a private housing estate cramming nearly 10,000 households into an area of about 0.1 square miles. It is one of the largest in Hong Kong and is one of the main contributors to the crazy population density on this island.

OMSI2_20170802_151653.jpg

Finally, here is a video demonstrating part of the circular route 95C from Ap Lei Chau Estate to Chi Fu. It also shows off the LiteVision controller and Telargo automatic stop display and announcement system scripted into the bus.

Credits to:
EN1504-201, FF3170, Francium and StanleyVillage for the original map
愛麗絲公主 for the first conversion to Left Path
CTB2700@85 for further help on conversion and building, and also the scripting of complex electronic components on the 11m Volvo Olympian

Thanks for reading and comments are very welcome!

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Looks superb and an interesting history to an old favourite as with Chris I used to spend most evenings driving about and on the N73 as well to Stanley. Can't wait to drive the actual CTB buses on the updated version.

All the best!

BritishRail60062

A Friendly Rail & Transport Fan.
Jan 10, 2017
Northern Ireland
www.youtube.com
Although I have never played the original map. I am looking forward to seeing the progress on this map because I very often thrash the HK buses on the TSLP London map and other UK maps as they are the only suitable maps I have to use the HK buses with. I shall be watching the progress of this new project and I give my moral support ;).

Users who are viewing this thread