Owning a bus in real life. (1 Viewer)

ROBLOX Bus Simulators

Founder of TMT and Project Merseyside
Jun 18, 2017
Liverpool
Hi all,

I've been thinking about owning a bus in real life when I'm older and have the money. Maybe something like a Dennis Dart MPD or maybe a heritage one.
Currently, a dart would cost about a thousand pounds.

My plan would be to work for Arriva and get trained by them for my PCV License, which is a win - win because I don't have to pay for my license and I would get a job driving buses. Once I get some money from my job, I'd refurb my bus and take it to shows, etc.

Would you recommend this? I'm on the edge on whether to do it or not, although I have a while to choose I suppose.

Thanks,
Ben.

• Haha
Reactions: Mercedes-Benz

MylesW

i make things sometimes
Dec 29, 2016
Hi all,

I've been thinking about owning a bus in real life when I'm older and have the money. Maybe something like a Dennis Dart MPD or maybe a heritage one.
Currently, a dart would cost about a thousand pounds.

My plan would be to work for Arriva and get trained by them for my PCV License, which is a win - win because I don't have to pay for my license and I would get a job driving buses. Once I get some money from my job, I'd refurb my bus and take it to shows, etc.

Would you recommend this? I'm on the edge on whether to do it or not, although I have a while to choose I suppose.

Thanks,
Ben.
Yes that sounds like a good plan. I have thought about this before aswell. I’d definitely give it a shot Ben, good luck!

Advertisement

Florence3099

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Dec 10, 2015
Goldenrod City
www.flickr.com
Pronouns
She/Her
A few points that you need to consider:

• The cost of buying the bus
  • The condition of the bus - chassis rot, how long it's been withdrawn for, what kind of conditions it's been used in. Things like being used on the coast can affect the condition of the bus as the saltier air contributes more to corrosion.
  • Storage? Do you know people with space? Are you a member of a museum that's willing to provide space for your bus? Most storage will normally come with a monthly cost.
  • Insuring the vehicle? You really should have at least basic insurance even if the bus isn't going to be on the road for a few months, and obviously it needs to be insured when on the road.
  • Running costs? It's very expensive to fill a bus full of diesel, and the fuel economy will likely be in the single digits of mpg, especially on newer vehicles?
  • Repair and maintenance? It's likely you will have to do a lot of the maintenance yourself, so make sure you have a good grasp of basic mechanical principles first. If you know someone who can do this stuff for you, that's great, but be aware the work will likely be expensive. Also consider parts availability - nearly all restoration/preservation projects require several trips to scrapyards to get various bits and bobs. Make sure you know what buses were similar mechanically to yours so you aren't wasting time looking for buses of exactly the same spec.

ROBLOX Bus Simulators

Founder of TMT and Project Merseyside
Jun 18, 2017
Liverpool

• The condition of the bus - chassis rot, how long it's been withdrawn for, what kind of conditions it's been used in. Things like being used on the coast can affect the condition of the bus as the saltier air contributes more to corrosion.
  • Storage? Do you know people with space? Are you a member of a museum that's willing to provide space for your bus? Most storage will normally come with a monthly cost.
  • Insuring the vehicle? You really should have at least basic insurance even if the bus isn't going to be on the road for a few months, and obviously it needs to be insured when on the road.
  • Running costs? It's very expensive to fill a bus full of diesel, and the fuel economy will likely be in the single digits of mpg, especially on newer vehicles?
  • Repair and maintenance? It's likely you will have to do a lot of the maintenance yourself, so make sure you have a good grasp of basic mechanical principles first. If you know someone who can do this stuff for you, that's great, but be aware the work will likely be expensive. Also consider parts availability - nearly all restoration/preservation projects require several trips to scrapyards to get various bits and bobs. Make sure you know what buses were similar mechanically to yours so you aren't wasting time looking for buses of exactly the same spec.
I didn't think of those, especially running costs and storage. Thanks for the info.

Castlemilk37

98% Organic Human (may contain traces of asbestos)
Jun 29, 2016
1 Muriel Street, Barrhead
I'll make the point about rot. Learn to weld. The problem with automotive welding is that when you need to patch over rot everything around it is normally rusty and it just disintegrates, it's a difficult issue to resolve.
I'll also go on to talk about fuel costs since I can. Today I changed the price of derv at my work to 125.9ppl, to tank a dart with a 220l fuel tank would cost £278.98, I know that it would never be filled from empty to full but £250 a go is a lot. Perhaps investing in a fuelcard would be an idea, Keyfuels has the largest network in the UK which could be good if you're visiting shows. Fuelcards also don't pay the pump price, you pay a predetermined amount with the fuelcard company.

Well said, but it’s probably put me off getting myself a bus in a few years (but, at least I won’t end up getting a bus but having to get rid of it)

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
No. Especially a Dart!
I'm by far not an expert, but possibly an Optare Solo would be more easy maybe?
Just to let you know: I have no idea what buses are easy or hard to maintain.
I just thought it might be easier, due to the Solo being more modern, but that could be completely wrong, for all I know.

Joshy

That Burnley bus person
Dec 26, 2017
Burnley, Lancashire
Pronouns
He/Him

Florence3099

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Dec 10, 2015
Goldenrod City
www.flickr.com
Pronouns
She/Her
No, most likely not as these old types of Solo are rare these days and so finding parts to repair the bus if it breaks down would be a pain you would probably want to go for some thing like a ADL Plaxton Centro

> Implying that an ex-Yorkshire Tiger VDL Centro from 2007 is
a) cheap enough to purchase for preservation
b) a good idea to buy whether it's for service or preservation

If I was you, I wouldn't work as a bus driver as it pays a little amount, too little to buy a bus. You would be better off applying for a graduate scheme for one of the bus companies for engineering or management, so you have a PCV license and a good job once you are trained.

You also need to think of the repair costs and costs to rent or buy land to keep it on, as you cannot park your bus on the road as it is a commercial vehicle.

I would like to own a bus one day maybe something like an older Enviro400 on a Trident chassis, so I do recommend it but it is a lot of money so you need to save money hard for it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread