Starting a new project? (1 Viewer)

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Thank you :)
No problem :) The best way to learn is probably by learning from others - try finding a map you like the look of, opening it up and disassembling it to see how it was made. The other thing a lot of people find useful is watching the livestreams put on by myself (though not while at uni), Iomex and Fellowslothb when we're doing map editing, as it can be useful to see development in action. It's worth making sure that the person you're watching actually knows what they're doing before taking their methods on board though... a quick look at the quality of their output should tell you whether they're one to watch or not :P

Advertisement

Hi guys does anyone know where i can find a template for a bus so i can make a repaint?
They are usually included with buses for example the C400R templates are located usually at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OMSI 2\Vehicles\London Citybus 400\texture\Templates (providing you have the bus that is). For the C400R there are some instructions included however usually its pretty similar for most buses. You need to create copies of each of the template images then modify them for your chosen livery. These can then go into the Livery_R folder (for the C400R). Personally I would create my own folder inside there with the name of the repaint just so I don't get them mixed up with the other repaints and that they're all in the same place. The last thing to do is modify the .cti file

Each [item] is a different texture. You may for some reason decide modifying a certain texture for your repaint isn't necessary and can delete the texture and delete it from the .cti and the default one will be used. You will need to modify each [item] section as shown below.

[item]
RepaintName - Change to the name you want your repaint to show up as in OMSI 2. This should be the same for each texture.
Exterior - You don't need to modify this line. It is just stating what the texture is, in this case the exterior of the repaint - the main component.
exterior_R.png - This needs to be the name of your texture filename. If like me you have chosen to create a folder for your repaint you will need to add the name of your repaint folder with a '\' e.g. Stagecoach\exterior_R.png.

Once you've followed all these steps, you should be able to create your own repaint.

Advertisement

Moderator note: this and the 3 replies to it were merged here from a new thread in the Work in Progress sub-forum.
Hello Guys,

As many of you know i spend a lot of my time on repaints and nothing much else so i have now decided i will start work on a map all i need is a few tips of what Scenery, roads, markings, signs etc to use and ill fire up the editor and get going, the map will be a small city called Wimbourne the map will come with Nine routes probably just five in the first Version the map will also be fully operated by Arriva and i myself will created custom repaints for the map.

Routes :-
• 1 - Wimbourne > Castleford (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Sapphire)
• 5 - Wimbourne > Itley (TRT : 20) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Standard)
• 5A - Wimbourne > Itley Forest (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 60) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Standard) (Both 5/5A will be Solo SR when released)
• 7 - Wimbourne > Tolstone Estate (TRT : 10-15) (Frequency : 10) (Vehicle : C400 (Spec : Standard)
• 12 - Wimbourne > Newton Village (TRT : 25) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : B9TL) (Spec : Standard)
• 27 - Wimbourne > Woodham (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : B7L) (Spec : MAX)
• 33 - Wimbourne > Plas Hall (TRT : 15) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : MAX) (Will be Citybus Gemini 3 post release)
• 500 - Wimbourne Park & Ride (TRT : 15) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : B7L) (Spec : Leicester Unilinx Style)
• X10 - Wimbourne > Ferrywith (TRT : 60) (Frequency : 60) (Vehicle : Levante) (Spec : Greenline)

Notes :-

I am fully open to all types of criticism, tips and help once i begin the project, all i ask is to actually give me some will power to not give up half way through, the map it self will go for more quality over quantity in every aspect anyway and i will try my best to fully optimise the map for the people who play on lower specs/settings and aim to make it the best it can be although this is a test before i start my first Real project for the community.

Thanks
Macauley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gh0st28

Mar 29, 2016
Hello Guys,

As many of you know i spend a lot of my time on repaints and nothing much else so i have now decided i will start work on a map all i need is a few tips of what Scenery, roads, markings, signs etc to use and ill fire up the editor and get going, the map will be a small city called Wimbourne the map will come with Nine routes probably just five in the first Version the map will also be fully operated by Arriva and i myself will created custom repaints for the map.

Routes :-
• 1 - Wimbourne > Castleford (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Sapphire)
• 5 - Wimbourne > Itley (TRT : 20) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Standard)
• 5A - Wimbourne > Itley Forest (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 60) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : Standard) (Both 5/5A will be Solo SR when released)
• 7 - Wimbourne > Tolstone Estate (TRT : 10-15) (Frequency : 10) (Vehicle : C400 (Spec : Standard)
• 12 - Wimbourne > Newton Village (TRT : 25) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : B9TL) (Spec : Standard)
• 27 - Wimbourne > Woodham (TRT : 30) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : B7L) (Spec : MAX)
• 33 - Wimbourne > Plas Hall (TRT : 15) (Frequency : 30) (Vehicle : C400) (Spec : MAX) (Will be Citybus Gemini 3 post release)
• 500 - Wimbourne Park & Ride (TRT : 15) (Frequency : 20) (Vehicle : B7L) (Spec : Leicester Unilinx Style)
• X10 - Wimbourne > Ferrywith (TRT : 60) (Frequency : 60) (Vehicle : Levante) (Spec : Greenline)

Notes :-

I am fully open to all types of criticism, tips and help once i begin the project, all i ask is to actually give me some will power to not give up half way through, the map it self will go for more quality over quantity in every aspect anyway and i will try my best to fully optimise the map for the people who play on lower specs/settings and aim to make it the best it can be although this is a test before i start my first Real project for the community.

Thanks
Macauley.
Might want to add some screenshots of the map before it gets locked :)

Might want to add some screenshots of the map before it gets locked :)

As i said i have not started yet i asked for tips on things to use first roads, scenery etc once i have some idea's ill start, if it gets locked then thats fine, im just putting it out there ill be of repaints for a while and creating a map :)

Good Luck :)
Thank you will definitely need it :D:eek:

Reactions: Gh0st28
I've got 11 weeks completely free over the summer once my exams are done, so something has to fill my time ;) Decided I'm going to try and model my town and nearby towns, ultimately making the bus route I get to school every day and possibly extend it depending on the time I have. Looking at the Arriva sapphire 480/490 route between Gravesend and Dartford, anyone here got any thoughts/know anything they want to add? The route also includes 2 partial Tfl routes, 96 and 492.

Advertisement

AlphaZulu

i am alphazulu
Dec 4, 2016
www.youtube.com
Hello!

Currently thinking about starting a new map, named "The Lake District, UK". I will start on it very soon. Please bear in mind this may not get finished, but I will be starting up it's own thread soon, when I've done a decent amount of the map. Here's the routes I'm considering including in the map:

555: Keswick - Grasmere - Ambleside - Windermere - Kendal - (Lancaster)
599: Grasmere - Ambleside - Windermere - Bowness
505: Windermere** - Ambleside - Hawkshead - Coniston
516: Ambleside - Elterwater - Dungeon Ghyll
508*: Windermere - Troutbeck - Penrith
596**: Windermere - Bowness - Lakeside
525: Hawkshead - Ferry Nab
800***+**:Ambleside - Windermere - Bowness - Lakeside

KEY:
* Most likely going to be an AI only route, too long to create.
** Chrono based, won't get included if I don't add Chrono's.
*** Mainly designed for bikes, unlikely this route will get done.
(---) Too long, 555 will probably only run from Keswick - Kendal
599, 596 and 800 services have bike racks, these probably won't be included though, at least not in the first release.
599 and 596 are open top services, AI 78 route probably will have open top buses aswell.

Here's my rough plan to creating the map
1) Ambleside - Windermere
2) Launch forum thread
3) Windermere - Bowness
4) Ambleside - Grasmere (Route 599 completion)
5) Grasmere - Keswick
6) Keswick - Kendal (Route 555 completion)
7) Ambleside - Coniston + Hawkshead - Ferry Nab (Routes 525 and 505 completion)
8) Ambleside - Dungeon Ghyll (Route 516 completion)
9) Perhaps some buses for the routes.
10) Announcements fitted to 599 and 555.
11) Final preparations for the release
12) Release
13) Attempting to chrono.

I hope to get the Ambleside to Windermere section done very soon, more updates when I launch the map's forum thread.

Thank you :)

EDIT: This is also my first ever map I have ever created (I have done some tests before this) so yeah.

EDIT 02/01/2019 - A less ambitious version of this plan is now being developed by me, under the name of "Lakesider". A forum post will be created nearer to the completion of Phase 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven Macaskill

AlphaZulu

i am alphazulu
Dec 4, 2016
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the tips guys :)

I'll just see how it goes, the main reason I haven't made its own forum post yet is because I'll probably give up on it very very soon. I know there's a lot to do and for a beginner like me it's going to be quite time consuming and hard, but I'm gonna at least try and get the 599 done.

I won't be doing chrono's until I have finished the map, which by then I should have quite a bit of experience.

The main reason I'm doing this is to learn the map editor, so if the map ever does get released, you'll probably see some really good sections in some places and some really bad sections in others. I also want to do it because the Lake District has some really tight roads which it would be awesome to drive a bus down in OMSI 2.

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks for the tips guys :)

I'll just see how it goes, the main reason I haven't made its own forum post yet is because I'll probably give up on it very very soon. I know there's a lot to do and for a beginner like me it's going to be quite time consuming and hard, but I'm gonna at least try and get the 599 done.

I won't be doing chrono's until I have finished the map, which by then I should have quite a bit of experience.

The main reason I'm doing this is to learn the map editor, so if the map ever does get released, you'll probably see some really good sections in some places and some really bad sections in others. I also want to do it because the Lake District has some really tight roads which it would be awesome to drive a bus down in OMSI 2.
Just googled the distance between Keswick and Lancaster, indeed it is 63.5miles. No OMSI map, not even Gladbeck believe it or not, has stretched that big. It's such a massive task to undertake

My advice is to start of with smaller route or a curtailed version of the routes, and expand the map ever so slightly. Producing something that's of 60+ miles will be near to impossible. London is currently only around 12-14miles big.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread