The Help Desk - Map Editing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Ask us here if there's anything to do with OMSI map/content development you need help with.

A few pointers before we begin:
  • The inoffical SDK for the editor is here: http://www.omnibussimulator.de/download/SDK/Manual_SDK_1_EN.pdf This should answer most of your questions about the editor. Note that a few things have changed since OMSI 1, such as having to hold CTRL to get spline paths to snap together, but the vast majority is still applicable.
  • For UK road markings and signage, sign up to the TSRGD here: TSRGD 2016 - Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (we're also happy to answer your questions about this if you don't want to pore through several hundered pages...)
  • This isn't a place to ask about support about released maps (ask in the release thread) or gameplay (ask in general discussion).
So, what do you need a hand with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Hello all,

This is a place where you can post anything which is help related. You can give information that may be helpful, or you can ask for help. Let's just keep it OMSI(2) at the moment. Let's see how it goes shall we?

I'll start-I have recently attempted to put the E400 wheel off the NWFB/London E400 onto the KMB E200. I've successfully got the wheel on, but I'm having trouble with the textures and the positioning. I've got the wheel on, and the rotation is perfect however, I cannot get the texture to load. I have double checked everything and made sure that the new wheel texture is the same file format, and with same background. The name is also the same, texture and model wise. However, the wheel is still white. Also, when I try to reposition the wheel, the rotation goes mad. Any help would be appreciated!

UKGOIoFWd4fmtkQuOHkaKUHLHguXWkgV.png

UKGOIoFWd4fmtkQuOHkaKUHLHguXWkgV.jpeg

UKGOIoFWd4fmtkQuOHkaKUHLHguXWkgV.jpeg

Many Thanks,

-Jacobthebus

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I started one of these threads earlier - but I prefer your thread name, so I've merged that into this :P

Did you model the wheel itself? The model needs to be in the exact right place, the coordinates in the model files just determine the location of the axis about which it turns.

Also, texture names have to match the ones in the .o3d file, as they have texture names built into them. It doesn't matter about making them match the original, because the new model will want the texture it knows.

I started one of these threads earlier - but I prefer your thread name, so I've merged that into this :P

Did you model the wheel itself? The model needs to be in the exact right place, the coordinates in the model files just determine the location of the axis about which it turns.

Also, texture names have to match the ones in the .o3d file, as they have texture names built into them. It doesn't matter about making them match the original, because the new model will want the texture it knows.

Yeah didn't realise about this thread (DOH!). The model is from Winsome's E400, so a mod may never be released as I don't speak Chinese. I've got the textures working, but I'm still having problems with the positioning. Quote from my post on OZx.

How do I open it in Blender? Its an O3D file so it just appears as a box...

EDIT:-Because I used thee E400 wheel, I just named the texture what it was previously called. I don't no why I even bothered to change it! Now on to positioning...The issue is though, as soon as I change any of the co-ordinates, the point where the wheel revolves around changes but the actual position of the model stays the same. Any advice on this? Also, how could I open the model in Blender?-IMAGE

Reactions: henryhoward14

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah didn't realise about this thread (DOH!). The model is from Winsome's E400, so a mod may never be released as I don't speak Chinese. I've got the textures working, but I'm still having problems with the positioning. Quote from my post on OZx.

How do I open it in Blender? Its an O3D file so it just appears as a box...

EDIT:-Because I used thee E400 wheel, I just named the texture what it was previously called. I don't no why I even bothered to change it! Now on to positioning...The issue is though, as soon as I change any of the co-ordinates, the point where the wheel revolves around changes but the actual position of the model stays the same. Any advice on this? Also, how could I open the model in Blender?-IMAGE

I'm afraid you can't open .o3d files (well, not entirely true, but you certainly aren't supposed to). To have the wheel lined up right, you'll have to have the original model. Otherwise, as you've noticed, all you'll do is change the axis of rotation.

You could try making one yourself? You'd have to do a lot of trial and error to get it lined up, but it's certainly doable.

I'm afraid you can't open .o3d files (well, not entirely true, but you certainly aren't supposed to). To have the wheel lined up right, you'll have to have the original model. Otherwise, as you've noticed, all you'll do is change the axis of rotation.

You could try making one yourself? You'd have to do a lot of trial and error to get it lined up, but it's certainly doable.

I might try speaking to Winsome, and try to get the original model. If not, then back to the drawing board-Blender(yay!?!?!?).

I have a basic model created in Gmax but i'm wishing to export it to OMSI, I have the unofficial SDK. What do I export my Gmax object as in order for the unofficial SDK convertor to work.'.P3D' is the only file extension Gmax will allow me to export as however I'm unsure if this is the correct extension to use.

Also, when I want to apply textures which of the following to I use?

QlLwDkpxC-eTYkJ7XXA5TQlT48xEKdvS.png

Perhaps this is something for @whistlehead?

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I have a basic model created in Gmax but i'm wishing to export it to OMSI, I have the unofficial SDK. What do I export my Gmax object as in order for the unofficial SDK convertor to work.'.P3D' is the only file extension Gmax will allow me to export as however I'm unsure if this is the correct extension to use.

Also, when I want to apply textures which of the following to I use?

Perhaps this is something for @whistlehead?

I'm afraid there's a little more to it than that. I wrote a tutorial on it for Aussiex a while back. You have to install a couple of things to get it working, and the export process is kind of a pain - it's not perfect by any means. We're going to be setting up tutorials properly sometime in the not too distant future, but for now here's a link to the Aussiex thread: Find it here

Please make sure to read the whole thread, as I found out a few things after writing it which I didn't know before, but I couldn't edit my post any more. Follow all of the setting up instruction in it before continuing in Gmax.

As to using the program and setting it up for OMSI:

This tutorial is the first one I followed, and it walks you through quite a lot of the most important tools. Set up the program as in my tutorial first, then skip to the heading in this which says "Now you are ready to start, so let's  go." (ctrl+f it).

http://www.elvastower.com/tuts/gmax01/construction_1/construction_1.html

EDIT: This tutorial deals with texturing much better, I've just noticed the one before uses a really strange method which is probably game-specific to MSTS.

http://www.tafweb-trainz.co.uk/tutorial_bank_1.html

Read pages 1-7, the rest don't matter because they're for Trainz only.

Note that OMSI can use textures of any size, but it's most FPS efficient to use ones which are a size 2^n on each side (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc).

When you've followed the tutorial and exported it to an o3d file, you need to make a new folder for your objects inside the "Sceneryobjects" folder, then inside that make a folder called "model" and another called "texture". Put the o3d file in the model folder, then the texture files you used in the texture folder. Then you need to make a .sco file for the object. I'd recommend copying an existing .sco file and renaming it - they're relatively self explanatory. I keep mine quite simple so you could base it on one of mine. This has to be in the folder containing the Model and Texture folders.

You can open .sco files in Notepad or (a much better program, and a free download) Notepad++. Just remember to save them as .sco files when you're done (in Notepad, when saving select "All files" and then call it "FILENAME.sco").

Important things to know while making the file are:

Each [something] tag in the .sco file tells OMSI how to respond to anything immediately below it, until the next [something] tag. If there's a number on the line below, that tells OMSI how many lines to read below it before skipping to the next tag. This is used in the [groups] tag, for instance.

The [friendlyname] tag defines name the object will show up as in the editor.

The [groups] tag defines the editor folder structure for it.

The [mesh] tag is what defines what model the object uses. The line under this must be the exact name of your .o3d file.

I hope you find this useful :)

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Yeahhhhh, looks like you haven't got your scale in GMAX set up correctly :P

Once you've fixed that the next steps to take are to learn to apply textures, and use the edit mesh tools. Pages 1-7 of the second tutorial I linked to in the spoiler should help you out :)

Objects have simple UV maps already when you make them, but when you edit the mesh it breaks the mapping, so that's when you need to use UV mapping and UVW unwrapping.

Yeahhhhh, looks like you haven't got your scale in GMAX set up correctly :P

For some reason it kept reverting to default settings even though 'Meters' were selected, anyway that's fixed now. Slowly getting down to scale with a cup of tea :P  

25vZdgxHPjl3MTsg8U33zczFqIp_Sh4Q.png

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah, you can also change the size of objects in the toolbar on the right, and re-position them in the three x, y, z boxes at the bottom of the screen. That means you can make things exact scale. Then when you edit the mesh, you can also use exact coordinates to move individual vertices, so you can make a precise model.

I'm afraid I haven't set up twitch to store past broadcasts yet. I may make a model tutorial this holiday and set it up properly - we've been saying we'll do tutorials for a while... :P Meanwhile that Trainz bank tutorial covers just about everything pretty well.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread