1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TSW: Great Western Express

Discussion in 'Train Simulator' started by LT586, Aug 29, 2017.

1. LT586

LT586 Active Member

2. Cauterize1750

Cauterize1750 Active Member

I believe from what I've read of their press info the route extends from Paddington to Reading.
    As much as the detail in this looks nice, I can't justify spending the asking price on that short a route

ROBLOX Bus Simulators likes this.
  3. LT586

LT586 Active Member

What i don't get is why so short and leave it up to others whom I won't name to do an extension. Not knocking it as it looks great but this is way too short

ROBLOX Bus Simulators likes this.
  4. Kieron

Kieron Essay Master

Indeed! Paddington to Reading can be done relatively quickly in a HST non-stop. Shame it doesn't continue to Oxford as it does for TS.

5. Lakitu

Lakitu Resident BVG Veg

Ah yes, but I don't think the TS route could be called realistic or detailed or a e s t h e t i c.

This might be shorter, but there's a hell of a lot more detail. Probabaly.

ross4122 likes this.
  6. AdventureRock123

AdventureRock123 {G920 DRIVER} Simulator

one thing, i hate how now ALL of the GOOD trains are DLC'S so if thats changed then i would consider buying it but im going to steer away from this. but the graphics are a bit eye catching

7. Lakitu

Lakitu Resident BVG Veg

It's never not been that way? The entire RailWorks business model was built on DLC. Yes for the first few years a good amount of trains and routes were included with the base game, but none of them would have ever been what I would call good, even for 2008/9.

ross4122 likes this.
  8. AdventureRock123

AdventureRock123 {G920 DRIVER} Simulator

9. LT586

LT586 Active Member

I understand it maybe a lot of loading and unloading RAM but how come TML can do all of Germany in a smaller scale and Dovetail struggle with going the extra mile. I am looking forward to TMLs Berlin bus sim. If you all have seen it!

10. 0118999

0118999 [insert witticism here] Junior Forum Moderator Content Control

It's all down to how efficient the game engine is and how optimised things are. And much of that depends on their resources. DTG's train simulator engine is still not all that far removed from MSTS meaning it's quite old and can't take advantage of the latest technology. The thing is if they change the engine too much it breaks much backwards compatibility with previously created content (and their many tonnes of DLC)

Compare it to RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) that underpins GTAV which can stream a lot of detail on quite limited hardware (PS3, X360). But they didn't have to worry about keeping old DLC working and had a humongous budget.

LT586 likes this.
  11. LT586

LT586 Active Member

So TSW is still based on the current game? That's interesting as I thought it would be totally new UE4 and their physics engine. So that means then old content will migrate?

12. 0118999

0118999 [insert witticism here] Junior Forum Moderator Content Control

TBH I'm very much out of the loop, I just assumed because everything DTG have put out before was a MSTS derivative this would be the same! Having read up a bit I see they're using UE4 which is a completely different bucket of monkeys, the 3D models for rolling stock should be importable to TSW if the authors so choose, but I imagine everything else would need redoing.

TSW seems to be very buggy at the moment but I'm glad to see the systems are simulated to a much deeper level and there's a proper timetable. I'll watch it with interest in the coming months, it seems to be a solidish foundation that needs polish.

I also saw it's nearly £30 for the bundle but what's the point when it'll soon be on sale for a tenner?

13. LT586

LT586 Active Member

Who knows it does look amazing just hopefully it's not just 38 or so miles

14. Mystic Greg

Mystic Greg Hidden Veg (ง・ω・)ง

Seems that Dovetail are gonna be streaming this tonight at 6PM. Will be interesting to see how it copes and what it is like upload_2017-9-12_13-43-3.png

XxSilentWraithXx likes this.
  15. Chestnuttv444

Chestnuttv444 New Member

If your interesting about tsw great western and asking a question. I know a the Senior producer called Matt peddlesden. He the maker of Train Sim World. This his twitch page when hes live stream

16. LT586

LT586 Active Member

Some of the questions people ask are not relevant to what we're getting. Always the way but the game addon looks great. Still its too short 35 miles to Reading in an HST is 20 mins give or take

17. LazyGuy222

LazyGuy222 Roblox Name:CS7C3D

Watched today's stream and I must say it looks rather pleasing in my opinion. All services out of Paddington? Come on that's good

LT586 likes this.
  18. LT586

LT586 Active Member

It looks amazing it really does just hope they expand on it as at the moment you can get Western Mainlines for more at the same price if you add up the extension addons.

19. LT586

LT586 Active Member

Great indetail review by Squirrel thankfully! I really hope we can see OMSI style gaming at this level of detail. But I highly doubt it from the current team behind the OMSI title.

The_Growl likes this.
  20. Cauterize1750

Cauterize1750 Active Member

It looks interesting but I will bee keeping an eye on this for improvements before I consider investing - atm TS2017 offers almost the entire GWML (yes not as detailed) - I expect they will get this expanded eventually.

LT586 likes this.