What's on your workbench? (Dec 2015 - March 2020) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I tend to go for a bit of a scattergun approach with my projects, I reckon it's probably best to have some kind of central location to keep everything, rather than having a ton of individual threads. Seems to make sense to keep everyone else's work here, too, so let's get started!

4jx6F21ZMQC9Tm2C8qv4zZ9YLFOV5m3L.jpeg

Addenbrookes is coming along quite nicely, I feel. The paved area is complete, though I reckon some of the textures need a little tweaking before I'm fully happy with them - it's a little pristine right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Advertisement

HJALMAR

Add-on London Team
Dec 19, 2016
Helsinki, Finland
www.youtube.com
I've downloaded this bus and also the sound mod shown in this video, but i cannot get the destination blind to work, the HOF file is correct as people are boarding the bus.

Is anyone able to help me? Many thanks in advance
Dom

Have you tried using the almex ticketing machine? On my Citea sounds version you need to set the blinds via the almex computer using the bus' inboard terminal. Also there is a known issue with the IBIS on the damned thing not updating the correct stops along the way. Maybe I should add those issues to the readme.

Have you tried using the almex ticketing machine? On my Citea sounds version you need to set the blinds via the almex computer using the bus' inboard terminal. Also there is a known issue with the IBIS on the damned thing not updating the correct stops along the way. Maybe I should add those issues to the readme.

Yes i've been programming the bus on the IBIS system. I've been trying to use the vehicle on the same route in your video Alheim Lauranzbach, so i can't work out what the problam might be. I've never had an issue with the IBIS not keeping up with the stops.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I've been working on a new way to do road surface weathering following car tracks on object junctions:
1522534715532.png

Bit rough because it's just a quick mockup, and the weathering tracks are exaggerated, but it's actually a pretty exciting development (for me, at least).

Why's it exciting? Well, using previous methods, we've been very limited in the way we can weather the road surface at junctions, because of the inability to merge tracks together without a unique texture for every location. I've put together a quick illustration:
1522534806059.png

Far left: Just ignore road surface weathering altogether. Definitely the easiest thing to do, but there's no impression of where the cars have traveled.

Second left: Terminate one set of tracks where two tracks meet, possibly disguising the join with road markings or a surface texture change. The join using this method is jarring, so maps using this technique (such as Cotterell and, to the best of my knowledge, London) tend to use weathering without much distinction to reduce the effect of the join.

Second right: Merge the tracks into each other, but this can appear odd because the join is subtractive in nature, rather than multiplicative, leaving a gap where the vehicles' tyres must have done something extremely odd...

Far right: The new method I've come up with, which allows tracks to overlay each other and intersect properly.

This is exciting because it opens up the ability to make much nicer and more realistic road surface weathering and makes it much easier to model locations where several vehicle paths cross in different ways, as well as being highly flexible - I could weather certain tracks less than others to indicate usage, such as that bus stop bay in the first picture.

It doesn't just apply to vehicle tracks either - the same method could be used for pedestrian footprints, for instance, or something I've wanted to try for a while, seasonal dust and leaf litter around junctions.

It works pretty well with snow tracks too:
1522535434180.png

As to how I've done it, it's actually remarkably simple - I've just taken the way that bus dirt maps, rain maps and window overlays work and applied it to a junction object. It's pretty easy to do, too - I'll put together something on it at some point if I remember - I just hadn't put two and two together before.

Me = happy :)

(Keep in mind that what I'm showing are trial runs for proof of concept, and the models and textures could be vastly improved with a bit more time put into them)

Advertisement

Jan 29, 2018
Sheffield
Pronouns
He/Him
I've been working on a new way to do road surface weathering following car tracks on object junctions:
View attachment 26983
Bit rough because it's just a quick mockup, but it's actually a pretty exciting development (for me, at least).

Why's it exciting? Well, using previous methods, we've been very limited in the way we can weather the road surface at junctions, because of the inability to merge tracks together without a unique texture for every location. I've put together a quick illustration:
View attachment 26984
Far left: Just ignore road surface weathering altogether. Definitely the easiest thing to do, but there's no impression of where the cars have traveled.

Second left: Terminate one set of tracks where two tracks meet, possibly disguising the join with road markings or a surface texture change. The join using this method is jarring, so maps using this technique (such as Cotterell and, to the best of my knowledge, London) tend to use weathering without much distinction to reduce the effect of the join.

Second right: Merge the tracks into each other, but this can appear odd because the join is subtractive in nature, rather than multiplicative, leaving a gap where the vehicles' tyres must have done something extremely odd...

Far right: The new method I've come up with, which allows tracks to overlay each other and intersect properly.

This is exciting because it opens up the ability to make much nicer and more realistic road surface weathering and makes it much easier to model locations where several vehicle paths cross in different ways, as well as being highly flexible - I could weather certain tracks less than others to indicate usage, such as that bus stop bay in the first picture.

It doesn't just apply to vehicle tracks either - the same method could be used for pedestrian footprints, for instance, or something I've wanted to try for a while, seasonal dust and leaf litter around junctions.

It works pretty well with snow tracks too:
View attachment 26985

As to how I've done it, it's actually remarkably simple - I've just taken the way that bus dirt maps, rain maps and window overlays work and applied it to a junction object. It's pretty easy to do, too - I'll put together something on it at some point if I remember - I just hadn't put two and two together before.

Me = happy :)

(Keep in mind that what I'm showing are trial runs for proof of concept, and the models and textures could be vastly improved with a bit more time put into them)
Looks Great keep it up :)

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread