What's the difference between a Gemini 3 and Streetdeck? (2 Viewers)

Dec 22, 2016
Just a quick question to all the other bus nerds out there. Regarding the Gemini 3, in London, I've seen two variants. One has a Wright dashboard that looks almost identical to an NRM dashboard, and the other has a Volvo dashboard similar to the Gemini 2. But the thing is, these Gemini 3's look almost identical from the outside, the only difference I've noticed being the different dashboards. A couple of examples, route 140 has Gemini 3's with the Volvo dashboard and 340 has the same buses but they have a Wright dash. What exactly is the difference between these two variants of the Gemini 3?
Thanks!
IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

Solution

Its interestingly put here, two paragraphs down. I prefer Scania's that NCT have (Nottingham City Transport) not cant shift B5LHs and Slowwrecks. The only decent hybrids we have are the NBfL and MMC Integral BAE hybrid.

Scania's Bio Fuel CNG buses in Notts are a damn sight better than what London operators choose. Cheap and useless is London

Advertisement

The Streetdeck is on a modified VDL DB300 chassis (Just like the Gemini 2DL which it replaced). But is marketed as a integral product.

The Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 can be fitted to the Volvo B5TL or Volvo B5LH chassis' (B5LH being the Hybrid option).

In theory a Gemini 3 can be any Wright product with that body. The "Eclipse" name comes in to define it as a Volvo (Eclipse = Volvo, Solar = Scania, Pulsar = Daf/Vdl & Meridian = MAN).

In conclusion the difference between the Streetdeck & Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 are very much like the differences between the Wright Eclipse Urban, Wright Solar and Wright Pulsar. (Same body design adapted for different chassis' )

Reactions: Albastru

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
The Streetdeck is on a modified VDL DB300 chassis (Just like the Gemini 2DL which it replaced). But is marketed as a integral product.

You're not correct there, the Streetdeck is indeed an integral product, however it is on a Daimler OM934 chassis, similar to what is used in the Streetlites, Metrodecker and Metrocity. It has no correspondence with the DB300...

If it had much correspondence with the DB300, then it would sound/behave rather similar to a Euro 6 Enviro400, which isn't the case. The only UK bus, of recent, that is a modified DB300(H) product, is the New Routemaster. :)

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Ok, here's the spiel from Wrightbus's own brochure about the Euro 6 range.
Streetdeck:
The chassis for the new vehicle is assembled at the dedicated Wright EN-Drive chassis facility in Antrim, with the body manufactured and built at the main Wrightbus vehicle assembly facility at nearby Ballymena.

The StreetDeck uses the familiar Gemini double deck body style, which has been further developed for Euro 6. By basing the body on the existing and highly successful Gemini 3 body style, Wrightbus have been able to incorporate important customer feedback and operating experience into the overall vehicle package.

The new StreetDeck has been developed using, as building blocks, a significant part of the technology developed for the New Routemaster Double Deck bus. For instance, it shares the same front and rear modules, including front and rear axles, steering mechanism, steering, brakes and suspension units.

The driveline on the new vehicle features the new Euro 6 Daimler OM934 5.1 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine, rated at 231hp and a maximum torque of 900 Nm at 1,400rpm. There are three gearbox options for the new Wrightbus StreetDeck - it can be specified with either a Voith Diwa .6 four speed, a ZF Ecolife six speed automatic gearbox, both of which feature integral retarders. It can also be specified with the new Daimler G90 AMT gearbox.

Gemini 3:
The StreetDeck shares the new frontal styling with the revised Gemini 3 double deck, which continues to be available at Euro 6 with the Volvo B5TL (diesel) chassis and the Volvo B5LH (hybrid chassis).

The_Growl

Masterswitch Studios
Mar 7, 2017
London
Reactions: Troyski

Advertisement

No that Gemini is a Streetdeck so it's not included the B5LH bodied Gemini 2 is included though
Nope and nope. Its a B5LH with older style Gemini 3 bodywork. And its not only Gemini 2 bodies B5LH that is included-The stealth look Gemini 3 is also included.
That is most definitely not a Streetdeck bodywork as that would be this:
(Photo credit to LondonBusBreh)
View attachment 21313
Streetdeck is the integral product. The Volvo chassis is fitted with Gemini x bodywork (I'm sure some veg will flip out at me for saying something wrong-Give me a break :D)

Reactions: Callum23

LH275

????????????
Dec 9, 2016
London
@Jacobthebus It is a streetdeck as the engine is diesel not hybrid like the B5LH
Nope, its hybrid. B5LHs are all hybrid as far as I'm aware, thus the 'H' in 'B5LH'.
I know that ,if you read again what I said it reads "as the engine is diesel NOT hybrid LIKE the B5LH" but then again Rhys says I'm wrong even though the route 340 I get on has them and they aren't hybrids but I'll just shut up ;)

Advertisement

I know that ,if you read again what I said it reads "as the engine is diesel NOT hybrid LIKE the B5LH" but then again Rhys says I'm wrong even though the route 340 I get on has them and they aren't hybrids but I'll just shut up ;)
As always, easy to read grammar is highly appreciated. Route 340 utilizes Streetdecks, the only ones in London I think. Again, they are diesel, and completely different from the hybrid B5LHs. Separate in more ways than not.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
This debate is still going on? Wow :P

A Gemini is not a Streetdeck, or vice versa, no matter what front end it has.

Streetdeck = integral bus with Daimler engine. Recognisable by small symmetrical grilles on each side of the rear, and a steering wheel the same style as those found in many European buses like the last-gen Citaro. Whether the chassis design is descended from the DB300 or not is kind of a moot point.

Gemini 3 = body used on Volvo chassis, namely the B5TL and B5LH. The former is recognisable by a large offside radiator grille, and the latter by an asymmetrical rear end and long rear overhang (plus ability to move without starting the engine). Both also have a Volvo dash and steering wheel, and occasionally a Volvo badge on the front/rear.

Both vehicles have had a couple of styling revisions, the most noticeable being what tends to be referred to as the "stealth front" (or "frog face" by some), replacing the more familiar styling carried over from the Gemini 2. This doesn't change what kind of bus it is, it's just a styling feature.

There really isn't much to argue about... :P

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North

Its interestingly put here, two paragraphs down. I prefer Scania's that NCT have (Nottingham City Transport) not cant shift B5LHs and Slowwrecks. The only decent hybrids we have are the NBfL and MMC Integral BAE hybrid.

Scania's Bio Fuel CNG buses in Notts are a damn sight better than what London operators choose. Cheap and useless is London

Reactions: tr_nt
Solution
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread